Thursday, October 13, 2011

Discrimination

Discrimination

1) Passive Resistance - opposition to a government or to specific governmental laws by the use of noncooperation and other nonviolent methods, as economic boycotts and protest marches.


2) This photo, taken by Charles Moore, shows 3 African American individuals being pushed over with a fire hose.  These 3 individuals were marching in a non violent demonstration with Martin Luther King in 1963.  This demonstration took place in Birmingham, Alabama where most of the Civil Rights movements occurred.   When I first came upon this picture it left me hurting inside to see how we as humans can treat another human so inhumanely.  The individuals in the picture seem to be well dressed telling me that they were trying to show respect for their cause along with the individuals they would encounter. 




This second photo below was taken by John Jorgensen and shows Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in professional baseball.  This picture was taken in 1947 when Jacking Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers.  Before this time period only white players were allowed to play professional baseball and if an African American wanted to play baseball he had to play in the Negro League.  Even though Jacking Robinson went through many agonizing and painful days in his life he allowed the way for other minorities to play sports in the United States.  When I first looked at this picture the word "courageous" came to mind.  I respect Jackie for all he did and put up with over the years and it must have taken great courage on his part to stand up for his beliefs and goals.






3)  I do believe discrimination is still prevalent in our country today.  This discrimination has many faces and can affect all people in our country.  A women can be discriminated by sexual harassment and/or lower pay in the work force.  African Americans along with Mexican Americans can be discriminated against by racial profiling with law enforcement or the lack of job opportunities to name a few.  Aging individuals may be discriminated against by health insurance companies because of their age.  Gay couples may not be able to receive the same marriage benefits a heterosexual couple receives.  White males may find themselves within reverse discrimination because many companies need to hire per minority laws which would leave the white male off the hiring list because he is not a minority.  No matter where you turn in the United States, you can find discrimination crouching at the door.  I feel our country is moving in the right direction by helping minority groups but the only way to eliminate discrimination is by educating our young people on being loving, caring individuals to all people, no matter their race, gender, age or religion. 


4) My next topic on the Major Paper 2 will be on the discrimination of Homosexuality.  I will be able to support my claim with 3 different reasons.  The first being gay couples are not allowed to adopt with some adoption agencies.  My second reason will be that homosexuals are not allowed to be leaders within the Boyscout community and my last reason will pertain to a gay couples inability to receive the same benefits a heterosexual couple would receive.  To incorporate ethos and logos in my paper I can use the following:
   
       A) Ethos
              1) A current or past presidents statements
              2) A highly reputable persons response
              3) claims or responses by professionals helping the gay communities

       B) Logos
              1) We are all created equal
              2) We are all human
              3) Love can come from any individual who is willing to show it

2 comments:

  1. "When I first looked at this picture the word "courageous" came to mind. I respect Jackie for all he did and put up with over the years and it must have taken great courage on his part to stand up for his beliefs and goals." Well-said, Brian. I agree with you about Jackie. He was a true inspiration to those athletes who followed in his wake. Do you know he road a separate bus to the games, and was required to sleep in a separate hotel? I do not know if this kind discrimination lasted throughout his entire career, but it was sad. Thanks for your time and effort here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I really like your blog's format and background, too:)

    ReplyDelete