Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cathedral

Of the four short fiction stories this week I enjoyed the Cathedral the most.  I felt the story was easy to read and understand.  I was also able to follow along and comprehend each step of the story unlike the first two stories, "A & P" and "A Rose for Emily".  I have known people like the narrator of Cathedral who always seem to look negatively at life and constantly look for ways to criticize the people around them.  What a horrible and unfulfilled way to live.  I also viewed the narrator as a very jealous person by his actions and his belittling of the blind man whenever his wife were to speak about him.  The drug and alcohol consumption also forces me to believe that the narrator is rather unhappy with life in general and does these things in order to cope with his unhappiness. 
The end of the story was the only part of the story I did not quite understand.  Did the end of the story hold the epiphany?  If it was, I did not quite understand what the epiphany was.  To me it just sounded like the drugs talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment